Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Operation Dissertation Take 820(ish)

I woke up this morning with a revaluation... of sorts - I need to take the reigns, again on this dissertation. It isn't that I lose the reigns - I have found that it is a number of factors that have contributed and continue to contribute to my lack of substantial progress. Thus, months ago when I started this blog I thought "Hell, why not blog about the journey." Ultimately, I am a fair weather blogger and months go by with no posts and the shiny new excitement of writing a blog goes away.
 
Like many aspects of my life, writing has always been a love/hate relationship. It is the writing of the dissertation that is giving me such a difficult time. Writing, essentially placing the words/thoughts/ideas/images in my head to print has not always been an issue for me. Writing is communication - for those of you that have known me throughout my life know that communication is strength of mine, I can talk (often too much). Looking at my writing as merely a tool to communicate my thoughts is essential. Thus, I now - once again, turn to the blogosphere to accompany me on this journey.

I woke up this morning with an idea, what if I take what has been my tool for procrastination and make it a tool of production (sounds Marx-esque at bit). Essentially, what if I use my blogging as a motivator and instrument to write. I'm writing now, it's flowing - words are coming from my mind to the screen with relative ease. If I can flow here -- why can't I spew the academic juices onto the screen? As most of you are well aware different writing arenas are just that, different. That is part of the problem in academia. We write to each other and not the public.

I see this blog, to the extent that I can keep up with it - potentially fruitful in a number of ways.
  • It will facilitate my writing. 
  • It will take my private struggles into a public sphere for potential assistance & encouragement. 
  • It will feed my ego & narcissistic tendencies. 
  • It will engage me in a public sociology - one that requires me to speak to 'the people' rather than just 'my people'. 
  • It will keep me honest, productive & motivated.
To the extent that I can do these things requires that I keep up with it. If I want a 'following' I must first develop something to be followed. So, here I go again. With my eye on the prize... operation dissertation take 820.

It has been approximately 820 days since I successfully finished my comprehensive exams. While I have made much progress dissertating since then - I feel that it has been take after take after take of trying to get the wheels of production moving. Here I go... again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers