Saturday, March 27, 2010

Looking for my Sanctuary

I think that I need a lake house or some sanctuary to escape and write. I know that sounds strange, but honestly -- I've always found peace and focus in nature and near water. I've arranged my summer schedule to be pretty open (I'm only teaching online) so that I can focus on writing.

Now, I'm just looking for location to get it all accomplished.

Multitasking, between teaching, parenting and navigating all the other roles I play is difficult especially when it takes me hours to get into dissertation mindset. Running the data, interpreting it and everything else that goes into what I have to do takes a great deal of mental work. It is not something that I can do in pieces like some suggest because it takes so much 'thinking' to get to the 'doing' -- if I stop dissertation 'thinking' even for an hour, much of what I worked to get to -- is faded, lost or disconnected. Once I'm there in the dissertation 'zone' -- it's golden and I can proceed. It's getting to that point of mental clarity and focus. The reason I need and seek a sanctuary for the summer months.

Nick's parent's own a home on Lake Delton in the Dell's. I'm sure if I wanted to escape for a couple weeks I could muster up the courage to talk to Nick about it and begin the process. It's just weird because I'm broke as a 'doctoral student' and don't have the means to really fund an escape from reality.

I could also escape back to Kent, I'd be close to my advisor which is good -- but there isn't much water near or around the Akron/Kent metro areas! I also have to take Liam's needs into consideration -- can't just ditch my child for months.

I'll find sanctuary... if not, I'll have no other choice to find focus and inspiration where ever I am at!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers